Skip to:

Relic of the True Cross

Feast Days: 
Setpember 14
Time Period: 
326
Place: 
The Holy Land
Patronage: 
unknown
Summary: 

In the second century, the Roman Emperor Hadrian
destroyed all Christian sites including the top of
Mount Calvary and Jesus’ tomb, building temples
to Venus and Jupiter on the sites. In the 3rd
century, Constantine came to power and legalized
Christianity. His mother, St. Helena, traveled to
Palestine to rebuild holy sites and churches. When
she came to Venus’s temple she ordered it destroyed
and the earth beneath it removed. Just east of the razed
temple were found three crosses and a wood plaque
inscribed ‘Jesus Nazaranus Rex Iudaeorum’. The
Bishop of Jerusalem asked a terminally ill woman
to be brought to the location. When she touched the
cross of Jesus she was immediately cured. St. Helena
ordered a church to be built on the site. She sent the
holy wood to Rome and Constantinople.

St. Thomas More Catholic Parish - 8035 South Quebec Street - Centennial, Colorado 80112 - 303-770-1155 - Fax: 303-770-1160   Contact us